Sunday, June 24, 2007

Evening Entertainment


As I was watering the flower beds a few evenings ago, I couldn't help but observe how the bees were enjoying the Veronica. There was a constant buzzing going on around the plant, as several bees would come and go.



I watched them for awhile and then had to put down the hose and fetch my camera, to see if I could capture the moment.




This was the largest bee, who never left the plant while I was watching, but just kept changing positions. Here she is upside down.




This photo shows the the nice sac of pollen collected by this hard working bee. The worker bees are all female, daughters of the Queen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


What better way to spend a summer's evening than watching and enjoying God's Creation?




9 comments:

kate said...

This is a lovely sequence of photographs. I don't think I've ever seen a pollen sac on a bee before. Thank you ... it is a wonderful way to spend an evening!

Carol Michel said...

Sounds like the perfect activity to end a long day of work. Great pictures!

O.I.M said...

Great photos. Like Kate, I didn't know about a bee's pollen sac. You must be very patient to have snapped these pictures. Every time I try to get a bird, bee or other insect photo I find they flit away so quickly and usually end up with a blurry mess. I'll have to keep trying.
Irena

kris said...

Great photos - I don't think I'd seen the pollen sac either - or at least I hadn't put a name to it. My veronica is just starting, but the bees have been happily climbing on other flowers.

Anonymous said...

Things are really "humming" along nicely in your garden. Pretty pictures.

Melissa said...

I always get a kick out of bees with bulging pollen sacs and pollen all over their body still working away.

I can't wait for my lavender to start blooming then we will really see the bees.

I had to destroy a bees' home last week. They built it in the ground under my tomato bed and when one stung me on the nose...well... :(

My husband's family is allergic to them and he has never been stung and neither have the girls and I would hate to have them stung and find out they are severely allergic!

Bev said...

I was deadheading a rose yesterday and uncovered a bee that looked just like yours. It didn't fly away or anything. Next time I will look for the pollen sac. Beautiful photos!

MrBrownThumb said...

Nice capture you got there. I've been stalking the bees in my garden and have found two of them that I can't ID. I'm going to post on a forum and see about making a post on them because one of them was exhibiting some odd behavior.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello.

Andrea's Garden said...

Those shots are super! I especially like the one with the pollen sac. /Andrea