Thursday, July 3, 2008

Red Spider Sighting...


Ummm...... Red Spider Zinnia, that is. :-)




This is a new Zinnia for me this year. What it lacks in size, it makes up for in cuteness, don't you agree? The pretty white flower in the background is Giant White Hyacinth Candytuft. This winning combination happened quite by accident...when the candytuft hitched a ride with something else I transplanted nearby.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Flowers are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade.

~Rudyard Kipling


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a unique zinnia! It reminds me of a firecracker-- happy Fourth! "Blessings on my garden, on flower and bird and bee; whose scent and song and humming are wondrous gifts to me!"

Catherine said...

Red zinnias make me want to bite down hard on something! That tiny one is just too precious. And thanks for the encouragement from Kipling, Connie. Firecrackers to you to today! C.

ChrisND said...

That's a great photo, there is just a little burst of red. In this context I like the red spider!

Connie said...

If the nearby blue Nigella wasn't already finished blooming, it would have made for a great red, white and blue display.

Jane O' said...

I've never seen that variety. I love it. It reminds me of the spider daylilies. And the color is outstanding.

Gina said...

connie - that is so pretty! I'll have to look for that variety next year.

kate smudges said...

I like the look of this zinnia ... it is amazing with the candytuft in the background.

Catherine said...

It is a very unique zinnia~and very cute! :) I have a great fondness for zinnia's..It looks beautiful popping out of the sea of white candy tuft~I usually find in my garden that the so called accidental combination's usually turn out to be the prettiest! :D
Have a beautiful week!
Cat

Kylee Baumle said...

I grew those cute little zinnias this year, too! I just love them and will save the seed so I can grow them again next year.

Your photo is stunning!

Chelle said...

I just love this picture and this zinnia. Zinnias make me happy.